The Orange County United Way, in partnership with the IRS and 30 local organizations, is once again leading the OC Free Tax Prep Campaign. Anyone who has a household income of $60,000 or less may be eligible to get your taxes done for free.
The Campaign engages and trains over 300 volunteers who offer free tax preparation services to low-income residents county-wide. The main focus is on increasing awareness-of and access-to the federal and state Earned Income Tax Credits (EITC). The EITC is one of the largest anti-poverty programs and provides income, educational, work, and health benefits to eligible recipients and their children, helping these families to increase their financial stability.
Last Year, the Campaign served more than 17,500 taxpayers at no cost, bringing in over $15.5 million in refunds. $4.5 million of this was through EITC, delivering aid and resources back to low-income, working taxpayers. Within the last four years, over 60,000 taxpayers have been served, returning over $54 million to Orange County low-income residents.
If you worked during 2016, and your household earned income was less than $53,505, you may be eligible to receive EITC credits of up to $6,000. Receiving services is simple and free. You can either file your own taxes at http://www.unitedway.org/myfreetaxes/ or schedule an appointment at a free tax preparation site by calling one of the approved locations on the attached flyer.
What to Bring With You
- picture ID
- Social Security Card or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) Letter for all individuals listed on the return
- W-2s, 1099s, and all other tax doccumentation for 2016
- Form 1095-A, B, or C, Health Insurance Coverage Statement
- All 1098 E&T forms for educational expense
- Childcare provider name, address, phone number & Tax ID Number
- Voided check if using direct deposit for refund
- Copy of your 2015 income tax return
- For joint returns, both spouses must be present to sing the required forms
If you have any further questions you can visit http://www.unitedway.org/myfreetaxes/ or call one of the approved tax preparation sites on the attached flyer.